This method may still work but is no longer necessary; ebay now offers 2 factor authentication in its account setttings. Go to My Account->Security Information->2 Step verification. Change this to “on” and follow the instructinos.
It’s nearly impossible to figure out how to activate 2 factor authentication on ebay but it can be done. The only thing Ebay offers on its website is 2 factor authorization through a purchased security key. But you don’t need to buy a physical key, you can just use the free Symantec VIP Access app.
- First, before activating, make sure you have a valid phone number in your profile with Ebay. If something goes wrong and you can’t login after 2 factor is enabled, Ebay will need to call you to verify your identity before letting you back into your account. See this FAQ.
- On your mobile phone, download the Symantec VIP Access app: Android App, IOS App.
- Open the App on your phone.
- On your computer browser, login to Ebay and go to the Ebay Security Key activation page. Using the VIP Access App, type in your Credential ID for Step 1, 2 security codes generated in a row for steps 2 and 3 as described in the following steps.
- You will see the following:
- Step 1: Enter Your Credential ID from Your VIP Access APP – YOU MUST INCLUDE THE “SYMC” plus the 8 digits with no spaces so something like the following with the XXs replaced with numbers:
- Step 2: Wait until a new security code is generated in your VIP Access page and type in the six numbers displayed into the “Step 2” box on the activation page.
- Step 3: Type in the very next security code generated in this step. If you miss the timing then you need to start over at step 2.
- Click “Activate” on the ebay page. You’re done. It should give you a success messsage and put you back to your settings page, warning you that you’ll need to type n the security code each time you login.
- Questions on your Security Key ? See the Ebay Faq. :